Where do I start? The first thoughts that come to my mind after such a tough week & weekend: What a wonderful tribute to Keith & support to our whole family. I can't express how overwhelming the whole experience we have been through, has been.
Dozens upon dozens of flowers & plants were received - they were all so beautiful. Cards were received by the hundreds. Meals, food, & supplies of all kinds were brought over for our families. Thank-you everyone! (Pictures are all from the grave site in Midway, UT.)
A recap of the weekend: - the viewing began Thursday night & people started arriving around 5:30.... the last of those who came left the building at 11:35 p.m. - Many told us of how they had stood in line for 2 hours to get to visit with us & pay their respects. Amazing... how many people were touched by Keith's life. It was so neat to hear the many stories of how Keith had influenced them, or their fondest memories, or of their respect for him. Ray & Kathy Johnson then had pizza's delivered so that we all could eat before we went home!! What amazing people we have in our life!
Friday people started arriving at 9:30 & the flow of visitors was steady. I know that several didn't make it into the viewing as the building was being packed with people 45 minutes before the services started. The chapel & the whole gym was filled. It wasn't filled like a regular stake conference with 2 rows... no, there were 4 wide rows covering the gym floor & screens were used on both sides of the gym so people could see who were sitting behind where the curtains open. It was packed.
We realize that hundreds of people came for the viewing & funeral.... many traveled great distances, many who hadn't even seen Keith for over 15 years & more ... so many wanted to pay their respects to the family & be at his funeral. Many came in support of each of the children from their work, their home wards, our past wards & stakes. What an amazing tribute to him & a support to us! (Click on program to enlarge.)
Many comments from those who attended were: it was one that you could have been at for many more hours & still didn't want to leave when it was over, it felt so good to just sit & feel of the spirit in the room, or that the feeling in the room made you feel like you could go out & move mountains.
My own personal thoughts & feelings... I also felt the funeral service was an amazing moment during this very sad time in our lives. The comfort I received was more than anything I have ever felt in my life. I sat & contemplated several times the sense of warmth that covered the back of my arms & my back as if it were a huge hug or as if I was being held (no it wasn't a hot flash :) ) I had to wonder if the building wasn't filled with a 1000+ angels to be with us during that time, or possible loved ones who had also passed on before? I don't know... but I know that we weren't alone.
Every speaker & part of the program added a special feeling & spirit to the service. As we sang the feeling of being buoyed up was so strong... something I have never experienced in any other capacity. I was lifted & a huge impression was left on my heart & in my mind.
As we sang the closing song: Put your shoulder to the wheel, I did feel that we could continue on & make a difference as we try to move forward.
At first when I received the call that Keith had passed away - I felt a strong sense that he had to have been a bit upset when he - himself realized what was happening, but since I have felt the assurance that he is o.k... I have sensed an urgency of his arrival on the other side... I don't know why or what the urgency is for, I know we can ponder & speculate... but, I am sure one day we
After the services the 5th ward Relief Society had prepared sack lunches for our trip. They were delicious & we were so grateful for the strength they gave us. We are thankful to all those who donated their time & means to support us during this time.
We then traveled down to Midway for the burial
The thoughts that came to my mind as the day ended were words that our beloved Prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley had spoken to us prior to his passing: "Let us return to our homes with resolution in our hearts to do a little better than we have done in the past. We can all be a little kinder, a little more generous, a little more thoughtful of one another. We can be a little more tolerant and friendly, we can go out of our way to show our respect for others. We cannot afford to be arrogant or self-righteous. It is our obligation to reach out in helpfulness, not only to our own but to all others as well." May we do this & carry on with the memories we have of Keith & the example he was to each of us. May the days ahead be filled with peace & love & may our Heavenly Father bless us all!






4 comments:
We've been thinking about you all. Glad that the service went so well and it was a great tribute to Keith. Those are neat pictures.
Jeanna and Dave,
Thank you SO much for your posting. It helped those of us who could not attend. Please know you were never out of our thoughts that day. Paula Birch emailed me and said the service was just beautiful. Your blog is amazing. You are incredible people! We are not coming up to Green River tomorrow after all, but will get together with you soon I hope. Love always, Debbi and Bill
It was a great service! Will you email me your new address pls? Thanks.
Jeanna, This was such a spiritual service. We are so proud of you and Dave and how you guys are supporting Doreen. I can't even imagine if your dad was taken. I pray I will go first. Then I can pick out my mansion in a warm climate.......
Post a Comment