Friday, February 20, 2009

Field Trip to the college & District Spelling Bee

I don't know why I do the things I do... but here is our field trip to the college today to peek in on Garrett while he was at the District Spelling BEE....

Yes - 5 kids, no they are not all mine... (I was asked that question about every 5 feet I stepped! - Yes, I can do it!!) So here we are touring the dinosaurs at the college & then we also went to the wildlife museum!! The kids loved it!!



By the time I got us all home - I remembered why I don't take them all out weekly as it is so much work!! Thank-heavens our baby is gone the rest of this week & part of next week - so I knew it would be easier now than if we had her with us too!

I am so proud of Garrett!! He did such a great job!! In all legality there were about 12-13 kids who ended up taking 4th place at the Spelling Bee & Garrett was one of them. They all participated in a Tie-off to see who would take the 3rd place & the 1st boy, who is a natural competitor of Garrett's (they enter all the same contests at the same time & one always places 1st & the other places 2nd or vise versa... same with other places too they always beat each other by 1 question - it is a healthy competition & Dan even told Garrett that going to State this year wouldn't be the same without him.) So he (Dan) spelled his word correct on the tie breaker & the rest all missed their words & were eliminated (including Garrett) so Dan was automatically 3rd place.. then they had a tie off for 1st & 2nd & cool enough a little tiny girl in 6th grade won the whole thing, the top 6th grade speller & the traveling trophy for her school. The 2nd place boy was also from Garrett's school - so cool that our Middle school took 2 places out of like 10+ schools.

I am so proud of Garrett as he showed great sportsmanship today... I know his heart was breaking as he was eliminated & mine was crushed for him... I wanted to start crying as that is all he has talked about... but I held it together as I was wrestling with little ones. When we talked about the whole trip when he got home he said "Mom it was all worth it, just to miss a day of school & eat at Broadway Burger on the school's ticket!" ... So there you go!! Who needs a trophy anyway!! (He doesn't!) I am proud of his willingness to even try!! It is such a scary & stressful thing, but he seems to love it!! I am a proud mom!

I was really sad to see they didn't offer the 1 year scholarship this year to the 1st place winner ... like they have in the past! Sad, Sad!!

An eventful day... for sure!!

No comments: