Friday the kids were out of school & I had taken the day off, luckily we were able to sneak this trip in! We took off early in the morning & made it down to the Draper Temple open house. (Highly Recommended - it is beautiful!) It was a wonderful day, beautiful weather, great roads, etc....
I remember my first experience as a child attending the Temple, I was in the 2nd grade. I remember wearing a dress to school & that I watched out the windows in our classroom waiting for my parents to pick me up as we were going to the Jordan River Temple Open house as a family! That experience made a huge impact on my mind & that is when I knew I wanted to be married in the temple! I was able to go back & take out my endowments at the Jordan River Temple before I got married... very neat day!
The Draper Temple is amazing!! They have thousands of people attending each day... I was shocked at how well they have it set-up & how they manage the tours/crowds!! My kids loved it!
When you get your reservation they ask you to park at 1 of 3 local chapels to see a simple presentation of the temple that talks about facts of the building of the temple, the area (why it was chosen, etc.) & then board a tour bus (1 of like 4 per building) that takes you to the temple where you go on a silent tour using a brochure/pamphlet with more details of the Temple. (So they can get as many through without back-ups & long lines) then you go over to the chapel next door for cookies/water & can have questions answered if needed.
For my own mothering insights I always ask my kids: What did you like most, or what did you learn.... Of course I posed this question as we were driving out of the parking lot & out of the mouths of babes... Madison says "The Bus ride"... WHAT? You ride a bus everyday... then she explains, but this time I got to stand up!!! As there wasn't any sitting room on the ride back to our vehicle & so we stood... she doesn't get to do that on her normal school bus!! FUNNY!!
So in more seriousness... I said, about the actual temple & they all agreed that the Celestial room & crystal chandelier was so beautiful. Brady had a tie for his favorite & that was the baptismal font & seeing the 12..."what were those mom with horns?"... The oxen!!Here is a virtual tour of the temple & more info. for anyone who won't be able to make it... or who would like to see more: http://www.ldsmag.com/churchupdate/090114tour.html
We had lots of neat people on the tour with us. Many people who don't belong to our faith & many who do. I was impressed with how many travel from such far distances to tour the temple.
If anyone would like to know how to make a reservation to attend - let me know & I can get you the info. & driving instructions!
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Draper Temple Open House
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment