Wednesday, October 1, 2008

THE BIG 13!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARRETT!!

Alright - The day has finally arrived!! Garrett was up bright & early!! I had suspected he had been snooping & found his "PRESENT"... He came & woke me up at like 5:20 a.m...luckily I had hid everything around the house for a treasure hunt this morning... so after seeing the 1st clue on the table he couldn't get the 2nd clue until he gave mom 13 birthday kisses... (I would have required that he kiss Dad too... but Dad won't be home till midnight tonight as he has been in OH all week for a Business trip.) Garrett didn't hesitate a wink... I barely could get out of bed before being smothered all over my cheeks with big ol' kisses from the bday boy :) ! This way he wasn't able to find everything before I woke up!! (He got many items that go w/ his "BIG" present.... metronome/tuner, books, practice Cd's & DVD's, (2 kinds) drum sticks, & Passage to Zarahemla DVD.)2 weekends ago... the "BIG Surprise" I ran to UT to get was a Beautiful Green PEARL Drum Set!! (Below) No the lights were not included! But thought it would look cool as you rounded the corner in the basement!

I was able to find everything he needs to become the drummer of his dreams (o.k... or at least for now!) with help THANKS TO DOUG!! (THANK-YOU DOUG!! It is amazing!!) So no, the trip wasn't really meant to get crafts... this was the real reason we went to UT... but thought we better make the best of the trip & gas money!!Garrett has talked about a drum set for a couple years now & last year we were required to have something for band practice - so I decided to buy the "small" percussion practice set that came with a carry case (I should have saved the money!!) As I wanted to make sure he REALLY wanted to do this, & that it was not just a FAD!

Well, HE LOVED band last year & he became the top drummer & was allowed to play on the drum set for the concerts (which is highly sought after - but few achieve it). So many times this summer as he saved his money - he mentioned how he would like to get a drum set... So the week before school started he was asked to forgo auditions & become the Drummer for the Middle School Jazz Band (as word through the grapevine told the teacher - he was the best!) Well once school started - he would come home & tell me about band & how he just loves it. Then he would inform me that every day the teacher asks - Do you have your own drum set, as he is doing so well? Then he would inform me how embarrasing it is to have to say - no, My mom makes me use my pillows & my bed to practice on!! (Well, I tried to make him a Practice area... as you can see to the left of the "Real" set... the shelves held the bells (which he is also really good at), but he ended up taking them upstairs to his dresser to practice on as he was now advanced to practicing the "Drum Set" on his bed... instead of just a snare drum & practice pad!) Now don't laugh, Doug is probably dying & rolling over laughing!! So with his saved money - I snagged it & applied it to the cost & we got him the set for his Birthday!!

So anyway - he ran around the house finding treasures... then I ended his hunt with the DVD he has wanted for some time too. I could see he wasn't so impressed (But, I KNEW HE KNEW the drums were in the basement... as I have been down several times & seen the wall tent I had used to cover them... moved & the drums exposed. ) So then I acted like I was going to go back to bed & I tossed him one more clue & it said he could go try "them" out (without anything else said) & he knew exactly what I was talking about... so here he is BIG GRIN!!He was so excited!! He almost didn't get ready for school & then almost missed the bus!! I am sure my neighbors are going to be thanking me!! (Ugh!)

I had really hoped that if I put them in the basement it would muffle the sound or not be so noticeable... well as I stopped into my bathroom to get ready for the morning - a little peace & quiet, right?... Low & Behold... the sound radiates beautifully through the heating vent & it sounds like I have a front row seat to drum practice in my bathroom!! Oh goodness!! The things we do for our children!! Luckily it is true & it does sound like he knows what he is doing... so it wasn't really all that bad!! (I hate to speculate... but I bet it won't be long till Tyler is thumping on them too!)

Happy, Happy Birthday Garrett!!
We Love YOU!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Garrett, I can't wait to hear you with your new drum set. Make us prouder of you than we already are of you.

Chelsea said...

Ohhh... I love this boy! Just looking at his baby pictures bring back all kinds of ooo-ing and aw-ing. He is such a great kid. I am so glad that my kids have him to look up to as their oldest cousin. Happy Birthday Gare Bear. I hope that he got our message. He never answered his phone.

Anonymous said...

Hey that looks pretty fun. Man what a lucky guy! Your mom really went to some secret agent work for you. Sounds like you're really going to put those to use. Have fun. don't get famous too quick.
~doug