Friday, July 11, 2008

Oh NO - NOT KINDERGARTEN SHOTS!!! & Ugh - Pre-teen stage!

The dreaded day had arrived!! We made our journey over to RS to get Madison in for her Kindergarten shots. It just so happened that Garrett also needed a booster shot to enter 7th grade & a physical to go to scout camp (now I learn he needs a sports physical!)- so to hit a couple birds with one stone, we made a day out of it!!

It was a pretty sad day! Here is Madison tonight before bed - she is still traumatized as I had prepared her that the 2-3 shots would hurt, gave her some Motrin (my kids don't deal with shots well at all!) Well, the 2-3 shots that the school requires....no - our doctor's office found reason to give her 5 (YES 5) shots.


So - First they had their well child checks/physicals. This all comes at a time when we are experiencing Pre-teen/ hormonal changes w/Garrett & discovering that life isn't going to be as easy as it was before. So when the Doc asked about any mental or emotional problems?? as he was going down his check list - I about screamed YES & begged him to give me some type of Mother "coping" meds!!!!

But I had already told him upfront that we were starting into this stage & that I wasn't very happy/nor excited about it all, So when he read me the question - he looked at me & said "besides the pre-teen issues you are experiencing with him?" I about wanted to jiggle the young lad/PA & say... do you understand what we are experiencing? But I just sweetly smiled.

((Oh - I could write a whole other book about this... as I don't dare write it here (love ya Gare) as I am sure my tone of voice (I have to have a "HAPPY" voice or sing now when I address him), or just the look on my face will throw him into a spiraling mode of crying, moping, slamming doors, throwing fits, ignoring me, etc! (I am sure you get the picture & I know a good majority of you are laughing at me... especially my mom!) But - this is my journal & I just have to report - I just can't handle anymore... so with that said - don't wish your babies to grow up!! This phase will be my VERY LEAST Favorite!))

I was very, very glad though after spending practically a whole day crying over my new dilemma as a mother - that I am not the only one going through this.... many of my good friends who have kids Garrett's same age shared their experiences & frustrations about their own kids with me last night & so it did give me hope & I realize it is just going to take time!! I love ya Garrett & always will!

Anyways - back to the shots. It took them about an hour to do all our paperwork & to draw up the shots. So we spent our time going through all the brochures, playing with the models they had set out, reading the big "Diagram" books - which lead to some interesting conversations about our bodies!

So then the door opens! It wasn't a pretty sight! I had all the kids with me - 3 nurses entered the room! So 8 people packed into a little 5x5 room - Brady was so scared at what was happening & had the most frightened look on his face. I believe Tyler was laughing at both of them (just wait - 2 more years it is your turn!) So Garrett jumps up on the table & one nurse is trying to distract me with paperwork? (What don't they think I can handle it?) - So I jokingly stepped in front of the kids teasing Garrett that I would block the sight so nobody would pass out & warned him not to scream to loud or he would scare Madison & then there was no hope of getting her up there... all of a sudden he jumped down off the bed & was done. They got him from both sides while none of us were expecting it - I don't even think Garrett did either! (He was suppose to only have had 1 shot... but they found reasons to give him 3 shots... luckily for him, he has already had chicken pox... so then they decided 2 shots would do!) Ouch!

Well so now to Madison - she sheepishly climbs up on the table & says - "can I just go back to pre-school." I said, "you have to get your shots to go to school or else you have to stay home with mom/me for the rest of your life"... (It made me feel good that she actually though long & hard about that proposal!!) She didn't comment so, they gave her the option "do you want your mom to hold you or Amber (nurse/friend of mine) to hold you"... she doesn't say anything & points at the nurse talking to her with the funniest look & point. So they start laughing ... "Sorry - I can't I have to do your shots!" So Amber/nurse just climbs up on the table & wraps (Seriously wraps) herself around Madison! Madison couldn't move or wiggle to save her life & I could barely hold her little fingers! They clean her arm... then they just start stabbing both arms one after another... saying "Lets count to 6"... right a screaming 5 year old who has 5 needles to look forward to - with the medication being pushed slowly into her arm, burning, & hurting - "We AREN'T counting to 6 for each shot!!!" So of course Madison let loose!! She just started screaming & crying!! I guess I would have to say it was the most dramatic shot event I have had in all my mothering career!! Well, we got the band-aids on & got her quieted down enough to get her out of the building... all along promising her that we had to go get a treat or something since she endured the event. So we hit Mc D's on the way home -with our 2 shot victims getting a strawberry shakes (Garrett needed to remind me that he deserved a shake too as he had got 2 shots instead of 1!) Then the rest of us got a sundae for the ride home!! (WHAT A DAY!)

Well to end the day on a good note - we had been challenged by some friends to spread our friendship as they invited us over for a BBQ last week -we now needed to go out & invite friends to our place & spend time getting to know them better & then pass the challenge on to them! Well we did just that! Except - I find myself being very efficient at multi - tasking - so hitting 3 birds with 1 stone again.... I invited several sets of friends! Heck - the more the merrier & I knew it would be fun! I am kicking myself now - as I never thought once about getting the camera out (& they are all probably glad I didn't!) Several couldn't come, but we had 16 wonderful friends (3 families) over to eat dinner & visit tonight & it was great!! It was so nice to sit in the warm shade, eat, & visit (for several hours too)!

SO IF YOU ARE READING THIS - I pass the challenge onto you!! Spread your friendship & get to know some of your neighbors or acquaintances better!! Invite them over & spend time with them!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday... Tyler was about to drive me crazy as he was the only one home & couldn't find anything "Fun" to do - so I told him to get some pants & hiking shoes on & go climb our mountain... nah - boring! Then I remembered I saw a buck (deer) come up the cul-d-sac about an hour previous & told him about it & suggested he go look for it!! Little did I know he (the buck) walked around the neighbors backyard & found a cozy spot right under Ty's bedroom window - so Tyler heads out & opens the gate to start up the hill only to see the Buck's ears twitch out of the corner of his eye & he was only about 5 ft. away from him & of course he was elated... immediately he took some pictures with the camping camera he had taken along for his journey (only to find out later it had no film in it).... He came running in so excited to tell me, I grabbed my camera - we went out - this time we spooked him - but here he is as he ran off:

I am sure that won't be the last time we see him!


Well here are some pictures of the railing (in our house) that I helped put up this week (earlier blog) - I didn't take before pics. But you can get the idea of the landing - just floated & hung out there in the family room. I actually liked it open... but we had to do it. So hopefully it will last & work for our family... I am just glad it is done & off the to-do list!


So, on to the weekend!! Hope it is less eventful than today!!

I do have several family members going through so many worse problems than we are, of course, & I do want them all to know that we are thinking of them & praying for them & their families daily!! We love you all!

Have a safe & happy weekend everyone!!

3 comments:

Kenzee Jo said...

Trust me...I don't want my kids to get older. Not looking forward to teen years. I was one once, and wow how parents get tried :] Your new house looks great by-the-way...

tammy walker said...

Hah hah! Thanks for a good read! That was funny. Poor little kiddies! Nice job on the railing though.

Chief Kaholoaa said...

I wish we had a place for my kids to run out back and play. Looks like fun. I love this blogging thing. Aloha