Well, I got that weird call today... the one where you are getting ready - rushing out the door & someone - anyone calls & tells you information out of the sky you never thought you would be hearing... sometimes it is great information like you have won a prize from a raffle & it is wonderful - cause you never win anything... right, or it is like one we had about a month & half ago when we got that call that Dave's dad had passed away suddenly while out running... so it is either a gleeful call & you are excited - or it is a tragic call & you are stumped, dumbfounded, confused...
Well the call I got today wasn't all that exciting - it wasn't as tragic as loosing Dave's dad... but it was just a couple degrees less tragic... I guess? It was a call from a nurse who works for a special cardiologist in SLC whom Dave had recently been in to see for tests on his heart - (so that we can see how his health is, how his heart is doing, etc... as we know that Dave's Dads death was due to a heart arrhythmia...)
Well, it so happens that back when Dave & I had been married for about 3 years - his youngest sister had 2 episodes at different times when she was running in track meets & collapsed & was found unconscious... We realize she is alive to day because of miracles & that she was still needed here!
Through months of tests, trial & error, anguish, sleepless nights for her family - they diagnosed her with Long QT Syndrome.... She had to start taking meds, had to quit running competitively, does testing & they continue to study her & several other things. Which also led to all the family being tested & the grandchildren who were born at the time being tested.
It was still pretty new to the area back then... but Dave's Dad, his brother & one other sister were all diagnosed Asymptomatic Long QT. But the youngest being Symptomatic Long QT as she had been the only one who had shown any signs or problems (and was still alive.) Keith & Dave's brother chose not to take the medications once they found out - both the girls chose to take the meds. It is great to report that the youngest hasn't had any symptoms or signs of problems since then... but we all live with the worry in the back of our minds about - when it could possibly happen again.
With Dave's tests back then - they weren't real sure - but they weren't worried about it as much as the other kids. The grandkids were all so small - they wanted us to follow up with them when they passed their 5th birthday or so. So we did let it go back then, but felt now that his dad was gone & we question why he died suddenly when he seemed so healthy.... we went ahead & had Dave's heart checked out to see how it was doing in general, under stress, while he exercises, make sure there was no signs of blockage, etc..... so that if there is anything we can do to prevent a similar situation - we could. (Knowing that the Lord has a plan... but also doing what we can on our part too.)
Well the phone call I got today - was to inform me that Dave needed to immediately start taking a Beta Blocker & that I needed to quickly set up some appointments for him to get back into the doctor - as his stress tests seemed to have been fine at the office - but once the results made it back to SLC & they were looked at closer it revealed that He has Long QT syndrome & that he needs to start being monitored right away. (OK! And can you tell me all that information all over again?) Of course I had to switch phones & listen to her explain to me that Dave has Long QT Syndrome & that his is pretty crazy right now & needs to be on meds. immediately & then start wearing a heart monitor, along with some follow up tests & studies.
Well - what do you do - of course I called him as soon as I could process all the information.... as I didn't know his schedule & we needed to get the appts. set up - I am sure that didn't help his day as he started to cry & was angry! I tried to be tough... I have to be.
I ran & got his meds so they would be here when he got home from work, we made some calls, we meet with the Doc in SLC next week to start monitoring his heart on the meds, then he will start doing more stress tests/EKG's so they can watch his heart. Then of course it is a waiting game... but then again life is a waiting game for everyone isn't it?
Here is a bit of info. about Long QT:
The long QT syndrome (LQTS) is a heart condition associated with prolongation of repolarization (recovery) following depolarization (excitation) of the cardiac ventricles. It is
associated with syncope (fainting) and sudden death due to ventricular arrhythmias. Arrhythmias in individuals with LQTS are often associated with exercise or excitement. LQTS is associated with the rare, ventricular arrhythmia torsade de pointes, which can deteriorate into ventricular fibrillation and ultimately death.
Individuals with LQTS have a prolongation of the QT interval on the ECG. The Q wave on the ECG corresponds to ventricular depolarization while the T wave corresponds to ventricular repolarization. The QT interval is measured from the Q point to the end of the T wave. While many individuals with LQTS have persistent prolongation of the QT interval, some individuals do not always show the QT prolongation; in these individuals, the QT interval may prolong with the administration of certain medications.


Well - for now - that is all I have to report... besides I did clean the house today & worked on tying up loose ends for Girls camp that is exactly 2 weeks away. (Aaaah!)
O.k. I lied... it has been a few days - I better quickly catch up: Yesterday I did some lights & greenery on our back deck & finished my little sprinkler system for all my plants on & around the deck - then I also got my lights put in the front flower beds & then I put black bark down!! I looks awesome!! I will have to post some pics. soon!!
The kids are all doing well - Tyler just started soccer last week & had his first game last night & he did great!! (I am happy that he loves soccer so much - it has been a great activity for him!) Dave is coaching. Garrett & Tyler are both participating in the Fiddler on the Roof Jr. too & they are loving that!! They get to go to the college every day M-F & they take 3 classes & then work on the show the rest of the day. Tyler of course only helping out on the stage building, painting, publicity... but he loves it!! Garrett too seems to smile a bit more the last 2 weeks - so that has been a nice relief & oh that makes me happy!!! Madison is so000 excited as our good friends we visited in Lovell back in May are passing through town tomorrow & will stay with us & so she will get to play with the girls & see them again!!
So I might add... So now what? I don't know....the only thought that comes to my mind is: Carry on, Carry On & Be Strong!






1 comment:
your in our prayers
we love you
price fam
Post a Comment