Wednesday, February 25, 2009

So much for being a science project... (not for the weak stomach)

Well, I finally got to go to my docs. in SLC yesterday!! Good news & don't know news!! To document progress (& also for many who are wondering what I found out.)

Well the skin "patches" that are showing up on my legs seem to be related to my past (NLD) skin problem... The word was long & complicated & he didn't write it down... but more or less he believes it is in the family of NLD & not necessarily a diabetic problem (So glad!!) So hopefully that is all there is to them... I had a choice of Biopsy to make sure or just start treatment.... I of course went for treatment... as the dang biopsy was the most painful part in the past!! (They do it right there in the office on the table & send you on your way & about 2 hours later all the numbing shots wear off & the pain kicks in & I am usually on the road headed home & about to die - I went prepared this time... but having the option... I chose to go on with treatment instead!) So the Doc was able to do steroid injections in, under & around 2 of the bigger ones & I was able to get a refill on my steroid tape that I used before on my other leg. GREAT!! A bit of pain & blood... (what doesn't hurt us only makes us stronger, right?) Here was the last pic I took Jan 19th...I have 2 more spots on my lower leg & 1 on my other leg now. (YEAH for looking like a diseased person!!) The only way he says I can prevent them are to take oral medication that suppresses my immune system... which is more risky than just treating them as they appear! (So we will just treat them for now!!) I was quite surprised at how they didn't wear gloves at all... even the nurse who was mopping up my dripping blood from the injections was just using gauge... interesting how it seems the fear of "disease" from blood isn't as feared like it was back in my days working in the medical field.

BUT my Dermatologist!! (Love his "bedside" manner!) Wasn't about to comment, diagnosing, or treat my right foot. He was fine with me using the steroid tape on it... but said he didn't feel he should do injections on it & that I should go back to my family doc. about it... (Humm... more wasting time & science experiments if I do.) So I told him about the recommendation from an ER doc the year prior when I had numbness, pain to go see a Neurologist... so I had made an apt. with a Neurologist for that afternoon & that was my next step... as Family Doc., Podiatrist/Foot Doc., & now Dermatologist doc... are all unsure of what to do or what it is!! He felt that was a good plan & that would be our next best bet.... as it looks like my foot is dying. (That sounds yuck too... but that is what it feels like!)

So onto the Neurologist... he had an a resident physician with him who was like 9 1/2 months :) pregnant, looked like she could have her baby any moment.... they take us in, want the run down, want to know why we are there... (so I start thinking we have come to the wrong Doc.) Then they both start asking bizarre questions which some were: Have you traveled outside the country recently?, Have you visited anyone or anywhere where Leprosy is present?, Do you have a pet Armadillo?, Have I had my platelets checked?, Have my Liver & Kidneys been checked?, Blood work for Diabetes? ....He seemed completely clueless! I believe he became obsessed with my skin situation on my other foot & wasn't able to focus so much on my right foot.

So after much talk, & thinking, etc... he started to do some tests... most I am sure I passed with Flying colors! Then it came to my legs.... he started doing hot/cold tests.... interesting enough both of my feet didn't always feel the cold like they were suppose to. He did the tuning fork & that was about the same.

Then he kept wanting me to move my toes... I can't move my toes on my rt. foot like I use to be able to & this has been bothering me... this seemed very interesting to him & he kept having me try to do different things with my toes. (They are starting to become curled & they move all together instead of separate.) Then he started tapping me all over my feet with this plastic red thing & I wasn't responding like he wanted (obviously) so he took a jab on my calf... which sent me squealing/jumping... as come to find out it had a pin/needle sticking out of it & I felt it on my leg!!! (Well, I can feel it between my toes, but not to many other places - this frustrated the doc!) So then hooked me up to a electronic impulse type machine & did some test on my feet... Interesting enough my toes would respond now & then on the left foot (which I didn't think was having a problem like my rt ... as I still can feel things & no pain) ...HE then had to turn up his "shocking" power a time or 2 on my inner foot & big toe, but I still felt it!

Then my right foot was a different story & nothing responded... my toes, my heel, & he wasn't liking it. So I sense he turned the "SHOCKING" impulse up & up & up till I finally started feeling it behind my knee & up my thigh... I wasn't to happy to being shocked so strongly ... as it was painful!! He had to insist he was sorry... but did it 3 more times... I was about to kick him!! (Which the other gal mentioned it happens every time!) Today my big toe.. is very sore underneath/throbbing... WILD & Crazy!! Must have been over jolted & that is the only part that is having a hangover from it!! OUCH!!

So he mentioned some jumble, medical names, terms & told the Resident to do some reading for him, he told us he wanted to contact my dermatologist (who happened to be like 1 block away) & do some more reading/research before he said anything.... so?? Who knows!! He said he would be on it this week & be in touch with us. No diagnosis, no idea, no treatment, no return appointment... we will see (PRETTY FRUSTRATING!) Here is my rt. foot back in Jan... the swelling has decreased quite a bit, but the red skin by my toes.. is turning black, purple, brownish - depends on the day & how I feel by the time I go to bed (usually depends on how much walking, climbing, etc.) .. which usually is the most painful time of my day!

That's my report & follow-up for all who knew I was headed to the Dr.... I guess it is:

TO BE CONTINUED.....

2 comments:

The "Hix" Family said...

Jeanna, what in the heck is wrong with your foot. I sure hope they get it figured out. Scarey! I hope everything else is going good. We are trying to get our bedrooms downstairs finished so we have been down in the basement for 3 days and not getting much of anything else done. My blog needs updated but just haven't gotten to it. Torrey is on vacation until Sunday so I have got to use him while I can. I sure hope that you get your foot taken care of this time and they can figure it out. Take care, Love, Jodie

Green River High School said...

Oh my goodnes.. that is quite the ordeal! So sorry!! Hopefully the doctor will figure out how to treat this mess! Here's to a speedy recovery!