Sunday, September 7, 2008

Our New Bishop....

I know this isn't the best picture for this post... but I remember taking it last month, with the intentions of wanting to write about my husband anyway!! So I guess I will just use it now :) - here he is while we were camping last month- He is my hottie!!

I am grateful for the man he is & for the man he has become over the last 14.5 years we have been married!! I can honestly say that he is the type of man I dreamed about while I was growing up, that one day I would marry!! I admit we have had a lot of rough times... but I realize that those trials & hard times have helped us to grow stronger, they have taught us a lot, they have helped us to improve, & they have helped us to become who we are.

More about Dave:
His birthday is Sept. 26th & he will be 37 this year!! WOW
His favorite sports team is BYU Cougars all around!!
His favorite color is blue.
His favorite thing to eat is Hamburgers. (I think Ice cream is a close 2nd!)
He loves to run, play basketball, hunt, fish, ride 4 wheelers, coach the kids in their sports, help others, be with his family.
He is a Lab Supervisor for the Arm & Hammer Co.
He likes to keep his hair cut short - hoping it will make the silver hairs not so noticable. :)
He is the 2nd oldest in his family of 8 children.
He loves to collect running/basketball shoes, & also coats.
He is becoming quite a handy guy and can fix a lot of things... as he has come very far in this dept. since we got married!
His favorite chore to do at home to help out is: the laundry & might I add that he does a fine job at it too!!
Pet Peeve of his is: finding clean clothes in the laundry cause the kids are to lazy to put them away in their drawers!!
Favorite scripture: Alma 23:7
Favorite Hymn: Hark all ye Nations

Today Dave was called to be our new Bishop & to me that is kind of weird to say/hear... kind of like when I first got married & people called me Mrs. Young or Sister Young... no, wait - that is my mother-in-law, not me!! But now it is second nature, so I am sure with time it will become more natural.

It has been a long & interesting week as Dave received the call to serve as the new Bishop in our ward a week ago, so we have had some time to think about it. The moment I pushed the button on our answering machine & heard our Stake President's voice... before he even said - Dave, I need to meet with you - it came into my mind that he was going to be the bishop. I know that he probably had that same confirmation - but he totally denied it until he heard the actual words & the call being extended to him.

I know that it will be o.k... it is good to have it out in the open as trying to not tell anyone about your worries & concerns, etc... during that time about kills you!!

I know he will do a great job & that he will serve the Lord with all his heart, might, mind, & strength!! I pray that we can support him & sustain him in all ways during his time as he serves as our Bishop.

I have to say... it was pretty funny to watch our friends as they started observing that something was happening today before church started. As they started to see us saving seats for our family coming in, & as several of our previous bishopric had some family & friends in attendance... then as our Stake Presidency arrived... they started putting 2 & 2 together & all of a sudden you see sign language happening & smiles, & pointing... then others turn around & nod & say we see!! It was so funny to see so many people's expression as they were discovering that a change was happening & that Dave was somehow part of that change!! I am not sure how many of them figured it out right away - but several had told meafter it was done that they had the confirmation the night before or in the previous week that Dave was going to be the bishop & I don't think any of us really knew that our ward was in for a change at this time.

It was a nice day though. We had so many family members join us & then come over for dinner!!
A BIG Thanks to everyone for traveling & sacrificing your day to be here with Dave & our family!! Also thanks to all those who have called today because you couldn't be with us, as we know you had other responsibilities you had to take care of too! We appreciate your love & support!!

We are grateful to have such wonderful friends & family & for our supportive ward!! We look forward to serving our Heavenly Father in this capacity. We are not perfect - but we do love our Heavenly Father with all our hearts & promise to do our best.

Have a great week everyone & Enjoy what warm weather still comes our way for the next little while!!

4 comments:

DeVon said...

Congrats, Dave! It doesn't come as a surprise to anyone who knows you. This is a fun post, all except the mush about BYU ;), but hey if you were a Ute fan, you would probably be translated or something...everyone has their vices :).

Good luck with your new calling!

Chelsea said...

Dave, you're a great guy! You'll do a great job. You've always been a great example to me.

Cheyenne Lake Family said...

Dave, this is Steven sorry we couldn't be there. You will make a wonderful Bishop, your a great man and a great example to our family. We love you guys

Jan said...

I loved reading more about Dave! I totally wish that he could be here to watch BYU games with Andy. He will be a great Bishop!! Our prayers will be with him and of course your family! From what I remember growing up is that it takes a lot of time away - but so many blessing in store. much love