Thursday, September 4, 2008

Madison's first day... Watch out Kindergarten here she comes!!

O.k. straight up... I was doing so good. I went throughout the day thinking about her & knowing she was doing just fine & having fun - I thought I was handling it all o.k. ... then we walked to meet her as she got off the bus, I became anxious - I couldn't wait to see her. She wanted to walk to the house by herself as we followed. Of course she was talking 100 miles an hour as she had 2000 things to tell us! She came right in & unloaded her lunch box w/out being asked, handed me her school notes, & stood there in the kitchen bragging about her fun & exciting first day of Kindergarten - that is when the tears started to fall! (My baby girl has done it - she has gone to school & is instantly growing up - I did miss her really bad!!) Man... how some days you wish them to grow older & then one day you get to stand there realizing it has happened & being that I have experienced this 2 times before - I realize it is only going to fly by faster now!!!

Here she is before school today:Here she is with her 2 big brothers before they left for school:

Here is Brady too.. he was still in his Pj's for the other pictures & realized he was being left out - so he ran & got dressed & then needed his picture taken too.. but Garrett had already left for the bus! She absolutely loved school!! She was so excited to go & I am so glad everything went good for her! She doesn't know who her teacher is yet, as there are 3. They have 1/2 "K" come the 1st 2 days & the other 1/2 come the 2nd 2 days & then they rotate them around in different groups testing them & such, then starting next week ALL the "K" kids come to school & learn who their teacher is & they try to pair the kids up the best they can for their teaching/ learning & such!! She enjoyed the teacher she had today - couldn't remember her name.. .but I have a feeling she might have been a neighbor down the street from us.

She was so funny to watch as she had motions for all the things she had to say, even the hands on the hips.. like "Mom, you wouldn't believe"..... (she was so fascinated with the simple things!) She loved going outside to the playground.. for some reason she couldn't remember it was called "Recess".. my favorite story was: "Mom, me & some of these new girls, my friends were playing & we were inside a tunnel at school & this boy came up & tried to scare us... but he really didn't so we just said WHATEVER (While she is rolling her eyes) & Mom, we didn't scream & we quietly got out & just walked to another part of the playground - cause we didn't want him to think he scared us." ... The rolling of the eyes while she was talking about a boy & how they responded to his attention just made me laugh!!

But she was just so Happy they got to go outside 3 times & also to PE once... (Those were huge for her!) I can already see she will probably be one who enjoys recess & the social aspect of it all more than she will being at a table with paper & pencil!! (She loves writing & coloring, but I suspect being busy & talking might get her in a bit of trouble.... we will see!)

They read the Kissing hand & made us a Kissing hand as one of their projects. Then she came to Dave & I when he got home, told us about it & we all had to exchange kisses on the palms of each other's hands... it was a sweet moment!

She was so happy!! She went right to bed & is anticipating another day - I am so glad, even though I do miss her & all the help she use to be to me!! I guess I get sad to see that she doesn't need my help as much anymore & that she is o.k. with that! I will live & I realize it is another step in life... another phase we venture into!

Brady on the other hand... He did great today being that he was the oldest one at home now!! We had to break it to him yesterday that he wasn't going to be taking Madison's place at Preschool & would be staying home with mom this year!! He was broken hearted!! He ended up tested to high to be accepted to the C.D.C for services (which wasn't a shock)... but it is our only pre-school that offers transportation & so, we will have to do without. We were spoiled last year as I was watching Coop, he received busing due to his disabilities & then because I was able to volunteer & had been for several years while Tyler attended too, Madison was pretty lucky to be offered a scholarship to attend a special program they had, plus she received busing which made it so nice as they came & went together. So with being tied down this year full-time & not being able to volunteer like I use to - there are of course many more in need, & so the scholarship goes to someone else.

He still has 2 full years ahead of him & he is a smart kid-o!! We will just pull out my Brighter visions program that I used with Garrett & the little ones I babysat while we lived in Laramie (then I have found some new/simple items to add to that (shhh - don't tell Dad!))

So I convinced him we are having school at home this year. I told him about all the fun things we were going to do & then Madison pipes in... "but mom that won't work - there is no Principal!!" Well, being a smart mom, I had to answer -"yes we do!! I am the teacher & the principal!!" She then says... "Principals don't kiss their kids." Then she pipes in 'Dad will be the Principal"... (Just as Dave is walking in from work.)"NO, No... now lets not get dad into this mess"... I said, "no he is the building manager".. then he says... "no I am just the Janitor!!" - "Well, o.k. have it your way! I will start leaving the mess for you when you get home!!" Just joking!! Most days I wish there was a janitor!! Anyway, we will make the best of it!!

We went to dinner with some good friends, The Bates, from Dave's work tonight! EVEN though he was really late!! We got to visit, which was long overdue, then the waitress had some problems getting our order taken care of.... finally we ate & luckily it was all good!! So that was REALLY NICE to get out of the house & visit with them!

I have enjoyed getting back in touch with some ol' friends from High School & our college days this past couple weeks too, on Facebook... which I usually don't get to spend much time there - but it is great to hear from them again & find out about their families, blogs, etc!!! It makes the days so bright to hear from someone you never thought you would hear from again! Some of the ones I have visited with lately are (maiden names for the gals): Michelle Proffit, April Barker, Anitra Robinson, Jamie Lunsford, Becca Aragon/Brian Moore, Heidi McCombie(sp), Kori & Greg Livingston (the next day I visit with them -find out my little sister shows up in his Spanish class at the college - small world!!), Amy Barnard, Jennifer Broadbent, Curits Alldredge, Andy Bjorn, Melanie Copelan (My roommate at college! Finally!), the Rushings, Jilly Hatch :), the Blackers, DeVon Cook (we will write soon!)... Oh there are so many more!! I would just have to list all 125 of them... so good to be in touch with fun family & friends we have met over the years!! Neat idea & just awesome to to be back in touch!!


2 comments:

Doug and Marilyn said...

Wow Jeanna! I love back to school time. It's so fun. But I bet it's a bittersweet time for you. I got really sad seeing my old house in the background there. I do miss GR every now and then and all the amazing people there.

Chelsea said...

I'm glad that they are alll enjoyng school. Madi is getting big. She is a cutie.