Monday, July 28, 2008

Fun weekend... Stake Family Campout & our new pets?

We had a fun time this weekend - we recruited some of our friends & all headed out to the Stake Family camp out that started last year & improves each year!! Of course we did several Pioneer activities & had lots of fun! The kids had a blast & man, we didn't see them much of the time as they just did their thing!! (It is so nice to have independent kids!) It was a great time to socialize & enjoy the company of many great friends! I appointed myself the photographer (HUGE SURPRISE - I know!) & created a totally separate blog so I could e-mail (another HUGE surprise) the pictures & details to all of those in our Stake!! Here is one of the slide shows I put together:




All the other one & a few video clips can be found at: http://grldscampout.blogspot.com/

I was really excited as I got many neat pictures!!

Well, most of you know that we are not great pet people...We just can't care for anything above the likes of simple goldfish! But moving to our new location up the street & against the hill brings many new exciting creatures our way! Well, we now have - not just 1 - but 2, 2 point bucks that come & rest under our apple tree under Tyler's Bedroom window!! He loves it & they are quite tame.... we take stuff over there & open the gate & they just sit there & watch us. I won't complain as they are fun to watch & hey, I don't have to buy any special food for them or clean up after them or rub their bellies - so I am cool with it! Here they are as they get a little nervous & run up on the ledge of the hill to keep some distance as Dave & Tyler were getting a little to close it sounds like!!

On a sad note - Dave went out to move the water in the backyard this afternoon & found a Magpie (bird) was caught in our fence & it was just going ballistic... to the life of me, we will never understand how he got his head caught in our fence. (I didn't take a picture either!! )
He (Dave) didn't happen to tell me of this - till I went out to turn off my cute little sprinkling system I have created for my pots & plants on the deck & noticed a strange looking pile of bird on our lawn... it wasn't moving & I was on the phone... so all I could think is, we have a dead bird on our lawn!! GROSS!!
Dave then tells me how he helped the bird down from the fence, but believed it was most likely going to die as there was a ton of blood on the other side of the fence from it wiggling around & trying to get free... of course the kids hear this & have to check it out!
Then about 30 minutes later Tyler comes in to inform us that the bird is alive & up... but maybe has a broken leg as it is wobbling all over.... well then they all rush outside (I am frantically preparing for Girls camp & tying up loose ends before we leave in 1 week!) So I wonder & later go check on the lawn as I was having a meeting that evening & didn't want a pile of bird anywhere where the other ladies would be grossed out!!
So I asked Dave - where is the bird? What happened to it? All he tells me - is don't you worry about it!! I have it all taken care of!! Well, so in my mind I am thinking he had to have taken it out of the yard, put it out of it's misery & disposed/buried it's body.
So I am sitting at my dining table with 4 of my good friends I am working with on Camp stuff & out of the corner of my eye I see something wobbling/flopping around on the lawn... as I look over - a poor, miserable (now) long necked magpie is making his way over to my deck & bedding down under the deck for the night!! WHAT? I thought he was taken care of!! I didn't dare go look & see if Dave had made it a bed or left it a dish of water!!! WHAT? I am so psyched out that it is going to probably die under my deck & we won't be able to get it out & tomorrow I had planned to switch out my small piping to a larger one... OH!! What to do, with a injured Magpie???
Living back home - it would have been taken care of quickly so that it wouldn't have been a nuisance... So what now? We live in town & it can't become a pet!! I am pretty sure this bird is maimed... most likely it has broken wings, a stretched out neck (it is like 3-4 inches longer!) & most likely has a broken leg too!! Oh, I guess if it is still alive tomorrow & dares to come out with the kids all over the place I will try to get a picture!! Oh Gross!!

Thanks Honey!! Love you!

No comments: